AVH offers many pet-friendly vacation rentals. Here is some information on our policies and guidelines that will help you plan your vacation with your pet. Please contact us by email or by phone at 978-283-4777 should you have any questions about our pet policies.
- Reservation Policies Regarding Pets
- Pet Guidelines While in Your Rental Home
- Local Pet-Friendly Places to Visit
- Service Dogs at the Beach
Reservation Policies Regarding Pets
For the comfort, health and safety of all of our guests and homeowners, there are certain restrictions that apply to our Pet-Friendly Properties.
Size, Age and Number of Pets
- Pet-friendly vacation homes generally accept dogs weighing under 40 pounds and are at least one (1) year old.
- Multiple pets require approval and there is a maximum of two (2) dogs per rental property.
- “Visiting” pets are not allowed.
- Cats are not allowed unless specifically approved by the property owner.
Non-Refundable Pet Fee
A $250.00 (per pet) non-refundable “Pet Fee” will apply to each reservation that includes a pet. This fee does not cover damage to the property or grounds resulting from pets chewing, scratching, digging or other means, nor does it cover unreported house training accidents.
Pet Guidelines While in Your Rental Home
While you are staying in pet friendly vacation rental home, please follow the guidelines below.
- Please clean up after your pets, both in the yard of your rental property and when you are out in public areas.
- Please do not allow your dog to bark excessively or to roam onto neighboring properties. Most of our homes are located in residential neighborhoods, and we must respect the comfort and privacy of those residents. Complaints may lead to eviction without refund, at the discretion of Atlantic Vacation Homes.
- Please do not allow pets on furniture or beds. It is also helpful to bring something (bed, blanket, etc.) on which you know your pet will be comfortable sleeping. Just because you allow your pets on your furniture and beds at your home does not mean it is allowed in our rental properties. Extra cleaning fees will be charged for furniture, blankets, comforters, etc. that have pet hair left behind.
- Please groom your dog before your visit, particularly if it is a breed prone to shedding. Pet hair can be difficult to remove, and the next renter in your property may not have a pet. Extra cleaning fees will be charged for furniture, blankets, comforters, etc. that have pet hair left behind.
- Please don’t leave your dog unattended for long periods of time. A crate is ideal for those situations in which you must leave your pet alone. You are responsible for any damage that your pet causes.
- Please do your best to clean and dry your dog after a walk in the rain or on wet grounds; this will help to ensure you will leave the property in good condition without being charged an extra cleaning fee.
- Please do not allow dogs in swimming pools or hot tubs.
- Please ensure that your dog’s medications and immunizations are up-to-date, especially flea treatment.
Local Pet-Friendly Places to Visit
Please be aware that most area beaches do NOT allow dogs or other pets during the summer months. But there are still several local pet-friendly places available to you!
- Gloucester Dog Park. Located in Stage Fort Park in Gloucester, MA. Dogs must have a valid dog license (from anywhere) and must be well-behaved. There are separate sections for large dogs and small dogs as well as agility structures, doggie water fountains and doggie bag dispensers.
- Ravenswood Park in Gloucester has lots of great hiking trails, scenic views and lush foliage. Leash rules are in effect.
- Halibut Point Reservation. In Rockport. A low rocky coastal shelf with dramatic views of the ocean as well as the former Babson Quarry, a key location in the local quarry industry in the early 20th century. 2.5 miles of walking trails.
- Allyn Cox Reservation in Essex, MA has a designated dog area with scenic views of the salt marsh. Leash rules are in effect.
Service Animals at the Beach
By City ordinance, with the exception of service dogs, dogs are not allowed on Gloucester beaches during the summer months. Under federal law, dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service dogs and therefore will not be allowed to enter the beach. For those who may require a service dog because of a disability, please cconsult the City of Gloucester's guidelines for service dogs at the beach.