For centuries, the seashore has been considered a place of health and healing. Every aspect of the beach experience, from the sand to the salt water to the sun, has their own unique benefits to body and mind. Cape Ann, especially, with its many beaches and miles of spectacular coastline, is a fantastic destination for those seeking to practice quality self-care. Here are some of the many ways a trip to the beach can help you, body and soul.
- Sea salt, rich in minerals, has long been used in beauty and health products to treat acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions, thwart bacteria, and exfoliate the skin.
- Swimming or immersing oneself in salt water is thought to strengthen the immune system, accelerate the process of cell regeneration, and reduce anxiety.
- Even just watching the water and listening to the surf can give you a needed mental respite and create a mildly meditative state.
- Walking on a sandy beach is great exercise and also exfoliates your feet.
- Research on Deep Sea Water, which is taken from depths of over 200 meters, has been shown to help overcome a wide variety of conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer, and skin problems. Deep sea water is further removed from surface pollutants and has a low temperature, high purity, and is very rich in beneficial elements, including magnesium, calcium, potassium, chromium, selenium, zinc, and vanadium.
- Moms have long touted the benefits of gargling with salt water for a sore throat (and doctors agree!).
- Neti pots have been used for centuries in India to cleanse sinuses with salt water, a practice which is now becoming more popular in the US.
- Ocean air, with it's high concentration of negative ions, is also thought to be beneficial to health.
We've clearly come a long way since the 18th century, when physicians of the day prescribed drinking sea water mixed with milk and frequent dunking of patients in freezing sea water to invigorate the body. But today's science still agrees that the ocean and the beaches can provide a full range of positive health impacts, whether you swim or just listen to the sound of the waves and enjoy the breeze in your hair.
Where to Stay by the Sea in Cape Ann
Atlantic Vacation Homes wants to offer you a healthy place to get away from the city and spend quality time with family and friends. We offer a wide variety of vacation rental homes across Cape Ann that would be perfect for your North Shore retreat. To book your accommodations, simply view available vacation rentals and enter your desired dates to get a quote. You can also call toll-free at (855) 853-9143 to speak with a Guest Experience Specialist.
Explore our incredible North Shore beaches by checking out our Cape Ann Beaches page.
|||Atlantic Vacation Homes is the premier vacation home rental & real estate company on Boston's North Shore, with over 30 years of creating dream vacations for our guests. Situated a little more than a half-hour’s drive from downtown Boston, the North Shore is the ideal spot for an east coast vacation. We specialize in coastal vacation rentals for families, large groups, and anyone else who wants a beach vacation in Massachusetts.|